- How long have you known Mark?10 years
- Three words to describe Mark: Wise, funny, and unpredictable
- If Mark created a nickname for you, what is it and where did it come from?
Mark used to call me "Basil"...clearly a play off my last name.
- Funny memory with Mark:
One of the best Shull memories is that time we were having YL Club at the Cos Cob fire station and he tried to convince me be the "Jim-Carrey-In-Living-Color-Firemarshall-Bill" character. He literally asked the Cos Cob fire marshall if they could light me on fire and then extinguish me in front of the kids.
- How has Mark impacted your life?
I owe so much of my success in Young Life to Mark Shull. He personally took me under his wing and mentored me in all of the ways of Young Life (...all I brought to the table was my youth, good looks and charm). I would shadow him, watch what he did and try to mimic it. His contact work at GHS was especially remarkable. I figuratively "stood on his shoulders" and tried my best to carry the "Young Life of Greenwich" torch to the next generation. One of the best pieces of advice he ever gave me was not to be afraid to "push the envelope." "Don't be afraid to fail," he would say, "your an intern. Your suppose to fail." That was a god piece of advice for me!
- What do you think Mark’s legacy will be? What is his lasting imprint on the world?
A great sense of humor, a great ability to disciple young men and an uncanny ability to reach all types of people.
- Anything else you’d like to say to wish Mark Happy 50th Birthday!
Happy 50th amigo! You've left a lasting imprint on our lives and Vicky and I think the world of you. Come visit us in Puerto Rico! Enjoy this photo below from Fall Weekend 2006 at Lake Champion.